Supervision is defined as an overseeing and observing the activities of subordinates. Mainly supervisors supervise the subordinates. It is an important at all levels of management. Supervision is an activity of observation that helps to ensure that the work is being performed according to the requirement of the job. It can be defined as the function of leading, coordinating, directing the work that supports to achieve the pre determined goals.
” Supervision is the function of assuring that the work is being done in accordance with plan and instruction.”, as defined by RC Davis.
- Goal achievement: The main objectives of supervision are to increase the effectiveness of work. Effective work performance in organization is facilitated by supervision. It helps in goal achievement. Therefore, in the absence of effective supervision the qualities of employee’s performance are so low that an organizational goal can’t be achieved.
- Productivity increment: Effective supervision helps to increase the productivity. Supervisors provide the guidelines and motivate the subordinates. When the subordinates receive the guidelines, they are motivated, their performance level is increased and productivity also increases.
- Better communication: Mainly supervisor acts as a bridge between employees and the manager. According to the nature of supervisor’s job, s/he must develop the communication skill and s/he must impose two way communications. Therefore, better communication is possible in effective supervision.
- Maintenance: Supervisors are responsible to create the working harmony between workers and equipment. Therefore, effective supervision helps to maintain the equipment which are handled by workers.
- Improvement in quality: Effective supervision is the function of checking. When the workers do not perform qualitative task the supervisor help to improve their quality.
- Minimization of cost: Effective supervision is the overseeing and observing activities. In effective supervision, supervisor helps to minimize the cost and tome. In other words, supervisor encourages the people to minimize the cost.
- Improvement in working methods: In the process of supervision. Supervisors use the new and improved work methods ad tools. It helps to improve the working methods.
- Better human relations: Supervisors provide the counseling. Coaching and correct guidelines. They interpret the policies and planning of the organization. It helps to keep the better human relations.
- Leadership skill: Supervision is the function of leading, coordinating and directing the work of others to accomplish the objectives. Therefore, without leadership skill supervision may not be effective. So s/he should possess leadership qualities in order to achieve the goals. Means s/he should be able to guide, coordinate, control and supervise the subordinates effectively.
- Operating skill: The supervisor must have the operating or technical skill that makes the supervision more effective, s/he should know and understand about the working procedure of the organization. When supervisor is unknown about working procedure of the organization the supervisors cannot supervise effectively.
- Managerial knowledge: Supervisors must have the knowledge and skill of management that helps to make the policies, planning, rules, regulations and other objectives. It is necessary to use the power and to handle all the problems of subordinates.
- Communication skill: Another important factor that ensures effective supervision is communication skill. In the absence of communication skill no effective supervision is possible in the organization. The supervisor must the capability of communication. When s/he is not able to convey the information or do not understand the information supervising cannot be effective.
- Human relation skill: Different individuals may have different emotions, statements and attitudes. As a supervisor s/he has to realize human emotion and sentiments. According to the perception and experience of employees they conduct their behavior. Thus, supervisor must treat the subordinates as human being and must develop good human relations.
- Motivating power: The supervisors must have the skill of motivation. s/he must be able to motivate the subordinates and subordinates effort are effectively used for the organization.
- Proper working conditions: Proper working condition is necessary for effective supervision. When there is lacking of proper working condition the direction of supervisor does not play effective role.
- Clear instructions: Supervisor must give clear instructions top the employees. It is the duty of the supervisor to provide clear instruction for the effective supervision.
- Thinking of participation: The supervisor makes the decision in his/her level. In the process of decision making supervisor must ensure participation of the subordinates. Employees’ vision must be accepted. There should be two way communications.
- No Files at the moment
We're always listening.
Have something to say about this article? Find us on Facebook